Photo by: -Ljinto
Sarah wig styled by:
Cosplays from the movie Labyrinth
Journal about cosplay: [link]
Oh dear Oh dear… the sleeves. What a horrible horrible challenge. Lols. I totally didn’t give myself enough time to work on them. First off, those are ultimate puffy sleeves, and they are not done like any other puffy sleeve ever. My dear friend showed me the Mutton sleeve. The Mutton sleeve is certainly very closer to these, and a classic 80’s sleeve. So I took the themes from it and started going.
First off, I want to say a few things about the fabric. I have to say it was pure genius on the designer’s part. Instead of using the transparent fashion fabric to back the mirror organza, a lace fabric was used on the puffs. It really helps the dress from feeling like too much fabric, since it’s got a stupid of amount of fabric in it already. Being covered head to toe is confining, and not too sexy. The lace fabric opens it up just a tad. I love it.
The problem with the sleeve shape is that it is clearly not one single puff, it’s a double puff. In about 12” of space that’s not easy to make each puff look epic. Basically, I built a under sleeve to keep the puff out, and then a loose sleeve to go on top of it. Attached to the under structure/sleeve piece is a beige band so that it won’t flop about to terribly. In order to get that large puff the sleeve material has to be longer than the upper arm. But the underside of the actual sleeve is not seen too often. I think it’s a short seam. I didn’t end up with that, and I would have like to spend more time getting this pattern right, but I was out of time so I gathered the sleeve’s seem to get it back to proper length. The double poof is created by a gathering in the center which has some fraying strips of fabric attached.
For the bottom of the sleeve, I used the stretch satin as a lining just as I had for the bodice. That I could fit fairly snug. I did that to help keep the sleeve from wondering down my arm since the puff didn’t have any way of helping that from happening. The bottom has this hideous lace, which I put on for accuracy, but I’m not a fan of it.
After the sleeves were attached I made 2 grey fabric flowers to attach on the left shoulder. The original had them yellow, which I find hideous, so I left mine grey.
~making of part 1~ Fabric [link]
~making of part 2~ Details [link]
~making of part 3~ Wig [link]
~making of Part 4~ Necklace [link]
~making of part 6~ Bodice [link]